We the parish of the Church of Saint Augustine and Saint Martin, in observance of our oneness in Christ, in awareness of our diversity and uniqueness, pledge the following statement of our mission:
We commit ourselves to-
- the Anglo-Catholic tradition of worship,
- the continuing enrichment and education of our youth,
- fellowship and communication with elderly and shut-ins,
- perseverance in membership growth and stewardship.
We will strive to understand our neighbors and spread our rich tradition of praise and thanksgiving so that our house will also be their house.
When we fall into transgression, we will repent, look to the Lord, and start anew.
We will toil to continue our challenge to be faithful stewards of God’s universe and strive for peace and willingness among all people.
Our Five Ministry Areas
Ministry of Outreach: Our Service to Others
- Rosie’s Place – We provide regular donations of food for the food pantry
- Children of Incarcerated Parents – Each summer we collect school supplies for 20 students
- Ecclesia Ministries – We provide hats, scarves and gloves for the homeless; we also provide office space to this important ministry.
- LEARN @ LENOX Afterschool Program - Through collaboration with St. Stephen's we offer an afterschool program for elementary school children during the school year.
- B-SAFE - We are a site for the B-SAFE Summer program, which offers a day camp experience during the summer for elementary school children
The Outreach Committee meets for one half hour the second Sunday of every month
Ministry of Worship: Giving Glory and Expressing Thanks to God
- Acolytes – Serve at the altar as crucifers, torchbearers, thurifers and servers
- The Altar Guild – Prepares the sanctuary for worship and cares for the linens, vestments and vessels used in worship
- Intercessors – Lead the Prayers of the People during the service
- Lay Eucharistic Ministers – Serve as chalice-bearers at Communion
- Lectors – Read the lessons appointed for each service
- Ministers of Ceremony – Assist the Celebrant in conducting the service
- Ushers – Greet parishioners and guests, collect offerings, and assist worship-goers
- Music – Volunteer choir members and soloists enhance the worship experience
Ministry of Christian Nurture and Formation:
Providing Support for the Health and Growth of Our Spiritual Community
- Sunday School Teachers – Form our children and youth in knowledge and practice of Christian discipleship
- Scholarship Committee – Collects funds and presents scholarships to our college students
- Events Committee – Plans and coordinates special events throughout the year
Ministry of Pastoral Care: Providing God’s Compassionate Love
- Lay Eucharistic Visitors – Take communion to parishioners who are unable to come to church.
- Call and visit our sick and shut-ins
Ministry of Stewardship: Taking Care of What Has Been Entrusted to Us
- Building Committee – Oversees the health and appearance of our physical plant.
- Budget Committee – Plans and monitors the Parish Annual Budget
- Fundraising Committee – Plans and holds regular fundraising events.
1. Pursue becoming a Field Education site again. (current)
2. Invite guest preachers/speakers on a quarterly basis to
speak on issues particularly relevant to the
African-American experience. (current)
3. Develop a monthly service that appeals to children and
youth – Involve them in the planning.
4. Develop a monthly gospel music service (current 5th Sundays)
5. Create a choir, or children’s choir or have visiting choirs
on a regular basis.
6. Fix sound issues by offering trainings for readers in using
CHRISTIAN NURTURE & FORMATION
1. Create a transportation network for those
who do not drive.
2. Pay social visits to homebound parishioners.
3. Increase communication – calendar, newsletter
4. Offer more vestry team-building events
5. Revive Fundraising Committee (see also Stewardship)
6. Encourage more open-ness and welcoming to each other
1. Create a Pastoral Care Team
2. Follow up on Prayer List.
Get more information so they can be contacted. (current)
3. Follow up with newly baptized and others who have
family connections to the parish. (current)
4. Distribute the Prayer List to the congregation.
1. Offer diversity training to give us better tools for
understanding the many different cultures in our area.
2. Get to know Ecclesia Ministries, South End/Lower
Roxbury Youth Workers’ Alliance, LEARN@LENOX,
3. For a Lenten Series, invite speakers from social service
agencies to speak.
4. Learn more about the Spanish-speaking community.
(Connect with St. Stephen’s and others from the diocese
who are already doing work within that community.)
1. Recruit a new Fundraising Committee Chair (completed)
2. Revive Fundraising Committee to brainstorm new ideas
3. Provide updates to 100th Anniversary Appeal donors (current)
4. Hold a parish forum to discuss the budget for 2010. (completed)
5. Provide regular financial updates to the parish.
Current = we are making progress on this goal
Completed = we have achieved this goal